Finding the Right Gear


Recently I have been contemplating a decision that many Photographers will agree is particularly difficult if you have not been in the industry for long. Even though I have been a Photographer for about 3 years, I would not describe myself as experienced and completely knowledgeable in the field. I have owned a Nikon D3100 for a few years and definitely do not regret purchasing it as my first DSLR.

Now I feel the moment has arisen where I could consider upgrading my 'gear' in order to give me the next push from a little hobby, to a possible career. When I say gear, I actually only currently own the camera body and that is another reason why I am looking at upgrading - I haven't made the commitment to the lens ladder yet.

The whole debate between Canon and Nikon seems to be quite balanced and after watching countless reviews and videos on both, I have definitely come to the conclusion that there is a complex history to how either brand has tactically produced its long-standing line-up of Cameras.

Personally and from what I have learnt from my research, I think it is all up to preference. There are endless amount of 'Ifs' that I can refer to such as, if you fancy something new and different, go for the opposite brand to what you used to have or if you prefer the rugged feel of a Canon over a Nikon go for it! But those 'Ifs' are all dependent on you. You use the camera, you choose the camera. (Quite proud of that line!)

At the moment, I am trying to make the decision between Canon and Nikon and I am coming across a lot of difficulties. In other words, I find an amazing camera with nice specs and an overall good review but little things that could affect the outcome of the photos start the appear, which then decreases my interest in the camera.

For the past week I have been heavily drawn to Canon and its powerful range of APS-C Cameras (for reference, I am not ready to purchase a Full Frame camera) but only recently I have noticed how the 'specifications' of the Nikon equivalents are significantly higher. For example, I have been considering the Canon 7D and 60D where both have 18 megapixels and the 7D features 19 impressive focus points whereas 9 for the 60D. But the Nikon D5300, one of the 60D's competitors has an astonishing 39 focus points. Some may question why I have focused on focus points (see what I did there...), my response is that I am a passionate Wildlife Photographer and having a large amount of focus points can help achieve a more accurate image, especially when working with fast and cautious wild animals/birds. So where do I go, what do I choose? (If you have experience with either or both cameras and perhaps know which might suit my interests, please feel free to contact me!)

This post could easily become endless reviews and comparisons of the many Nikon and Canon DSLR line-ups but that could take a long time to write and a long (and probably quite uninteresting) time to read.

To swiftly bring this blog post to an end I can now reveal the announcement you've probably not all been waiting for:

I will be planning to post monthly from this date, which means in a few days time you could be reading another blog post...but we all know how unlikely that will be.

;)

❂ Issie
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home